by Patrick Brett
(Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories, CA)
The first recipe with moose I ever did.
You will need;
- cast iron frying pan with cover(large, and tinfoil will work as cover too!)
- source of heat (fire is better, stove works too)
- Salted butter or margarine
- 2 fist sized onions, cut into desired size/thickness/shape
- freshly cracked black pepper or mixed pepper
- ANY CUT(s) OF MOOSE MEAT. I usually process my own meat, not very neatly I might add (I don't mind the way we do it)cut into chunks or slices about the size of a fried egg
1. Heat up the pan with a large spoon of butter melting in it
2. Add onions and stir until coated with butter
3. Add desired amount of meat and spread evenly over onions
4. Cook until a simmer is achieved. Its important to make sure there is enough butter/juices in the pan so the meat doesn't "pan-fry" itself.
5. Cover and let simmer for about 25-40 minutes depending on heat, stirring occasionally.
After you have let your full simmer, reduce heat and let simmer very slowly for about 15 minutes longer. In my experience, this is a super easy, and very tasty way to enjoy the meat that isn't premium top cuts.
Once everything settles, you'll have a messy, gravy like sauce, and tender meat that you won't need a knife to cut! take the mixture and eat as is, over pour it over rice/mashed potato and enjoy!
This is the first way I ever tried deer, and just adapted it to moose.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Moose Recipes .
Want to learn how to hunt moose? Or are you wanting to increase your moose hunting skills?
Look no further!
Our moose hunting tips book is written with
not just the novice in mind, there are tips in the book that even the
most seasoned moose hunter will find of value.
The book includes 57 chapters, with more than 150 pages of information, jam packed with tips, techniques and discussions - The Ultimate Guide to Moose Hunting!
And don't forget to order one of our Fiberglass Moose Calls. In stock and ready to ship.